Friday 11 October 2013

Hugo Frosch Hot Water Bottles

You can tell it's heading into autumn.  The leaves are turning golden & red, the nights are drawing in, I've had to turn the headlights on in my car on the way home from work, and I've resorted to a hot water bottle in bed.  I love a good hot water bottle, I think it comes from 8 years living in the wild of Wet Yorkshire (yes, that was deliberate!). So when the chance came to review the Hugo Frosch range of German hot water bottles, I was a happy woman indeed.

My last hot water bottle became a casualty of last year's house move, when it met with a tragic accident, the details of which are too distressing for hot water bottle lovers to face, even now.  RIP Walter the Water Bottle.  I hadn't found a suitable replacement for Walter, until Hugo Frosch came to my rescue, and sent me not only a replacement for Walter, but a friend as well!

I received a traditional hot water bottle in a knitted cover, and a small heart-shaped bottle in a red velour cover, which Squeaky immediately claimed as her own.  The small one is a transparent red bottle, and oddly smells slightly of strawberries. I'm sure it's not my imagination,  I sniffed the other bottle & that smells like every other hot water bottle, so I can't be making it up, can I?


Why a German hot water bottle, I hear you wonder to yourself, what's so special about it?  They are actually a bit different to the normal bottles I've bought in the past, with a rubber washer on the cap.  These have a longer stopper, and a rubber screw in be neck, rather than metal.  I have a feeling, though can't be sure, that this is likely to make them longer lasting, as there's no risk of water damage to the metal parts, or the rubber washer wearing out.  The cap is just a little bit different, and I noticed it.

The bottles are good quality, and the covers soft and comfortable, conducting plenty of heat to your feet (or wherever else you put your hot water bottle, dear reader), without being uncomfortably hot. They retain heat well, and were still slightly warmer than room temperature by morning, rather than being a stone cold weight in the bottom of the bed.  The bottles are also recyclable, something I'd never really thought possible in a hot water bottle, and have a 2 year leak-proof guarantee.  Hugo Frosch also make an eco hot water bottle, with no plasticisers or PVC, making them a sustainable option for the future.  I don't quite understand how they work, but I'd love to find out.

Squeaky and I are loving our new hot water bottles, she cuddles hers at every opportunity, and I have to admit that mine is on my lap right now as I'm typing - it's getting decidedly chilly here, but I'm determined not to put the heating on just yet.

A selection of Hugo Frosch hot water bottles is now available in the UK from Amazon

Disclosure: I was provided with the hot water bottles as detailed above free of charge for the purposes of this review.  I was not told what to write and all opinions are my own.  All links are provided for convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme and will not receive reward for their use.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Everyone deserves a good hot water bottle. Except maybe Rollie, the claws might be a bit dangerous.

      Delete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?