Friday 10 August 2012

Chocolates By Genevie Review

If there's one thing that makes a Friday night complete, especially if SqueakyDaddy's on a late shift like tonight, it's settling down with some chocolates in front of the telly.  So when Genevie, of Chocolates by Genevie got in touch with me & asked me if I'd like to review her products, well, was there any doubt?

My new postman is a lovely fella, and actually delivers before 10 on a weekday, and before 9 on a weekend.  Do you know how difficult it is to leave a box of chocolates in the house when you have to go out to work for the day?  I hid them in one of my super-secret hiding places, and kept them for my end of the week treat.

The first thing that impressed me was how well they were packed for posting, the presentation box fitted snugly into the posting box, marked up with fragile tape, so the postie didn't try to squash them through the letterbox, and the contents were delivered in perfect condition.

Genevie's chocolates are all hand-made, in fact the whole process is done by hand, making, packing, finishing the boxes.  It's a real family business, Genevie's mum, partner, and 1 year old son are all involved (her son is chief taster.  That's my dream job!)

I received the Black Heart 12 chocolate box to try out, and the first thing I noticed, before I even clicked through to the web page with the chocolate descriptions, was that one had a chocolate coffee bean on top.  I love chocolate coffee beans, and coffee chocolates in general.  Though coffee creams seem to be a standing joke with a lot of people (and have mysteriously disappeared from the tins you get at Christmas), I can't resist a coffee cream, coffee truffle, or a coffee praline.  Genevie clearly knows me well, and the Dark Chocolate Praline was top of my tasting list.  Everything that a good coffee chocolate should be.

The lack of a menu was a surprise, but the majority of the chocolates in my box are shown on the chocolate descriptions page linked above.  There's 2  that I couldn't see on the list in my box (middle row, far left and middle row, far right), but that's not a problem, they turned out to be milk & dark chocolate marzipans, another favourite of mine, and a welcome surprise.

I really liked the presentation.  Simple touches, like the almond on the dark chocolate being skinned to give a better contrast, and the fact that the topping details aren't perfectly centred, giving a real hand-made look.  The balance in the box of dark, milk and white chocolates is just about right, I'm not the biggest white chocolate eater in the world, but my mum is, and it's a box we could share happily.  Except I've eaten them, sorry mum!

Chocolates by Genevie are only available in her online shop.  And if your mouth is watering as much as it should be by now, you could pop over and see Sonia at This Mummy Loves and Elaine at Fun As A Gran, as these lovely ladies have each got some chocolates for you to win!  Can't say fairer than that, eh?

Disclosure: I was provided with the chocolates for the purposes of this review. I was not told what to write, and all opinions are my own.  I am not a member of an affiliate scheme, all links provided are for your convenience, I will not receive payment for their use.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for the link, nice review of very good chocolates

    ReplyDelete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?