Sunday 7 August 2011

HABA My First Games Review

My First Games – Touch & Feel
Touch & Feel is a first game, as children are learning to follow instructions & introduces games with “rules”.  The game consists of 12 brightly coloured wooden food shapes (2 types of bread, sausage, cheese, chocolate & beans, two of each shape) a fabric bag, a woolly sheep, and shamrock tokens.  The game gives a couple of variations, depending on the age & understanding of your child.



As Squeaky is still a bit young for complex instructions, we went for the simple version, generally just exploring the shapes, talking about them, and putting them in & out of the bag and the sheep’s tummy.  Older children can play “What did the sheep eat?” guessing by touch which shape is inside the sheep’s Velcro-opening tummy, and receive a shamrock token for a correct guess.  Squeaky enjoyed putting the shapes in & out of the bag & the box, and soon began to understand me asking her to find a particular shape, or to put a shape into the bag.  The game is great for developing understanding of in, on & under, as well as shape matching.  It’s a brilliant educational tool, as well as being fun & engaging, and encourages families to play together.  Squeaky is right at the start of playing with the game, as she gets older and her understanding increases, I think we’ll be able to get a lot more fun out of it.

The game is beautifully made & packaged, and has the same high quality I’ve come to expect from HABA toys.  Something I noticed while reading through the instructions really struck me as what stands out for me about HABA toys.  If you lose a piece, which is inevitable in our house, you can send HABA a description of the missing piece, which game it came from, and €2, and they will send you a replacement part.   Toys aren’t cheap any more, but this stands out to me as exceptional customer service, and ensures that you can go on enjoying your game even if you mislay a piece.  At £18.99, I think My First Game is great value, as it will go on being a favourite for a long time to come.  And just in case you're wondering - HABA are a German company, hence the German writing on the box, but the instructions are in English, as well as German & a whole host of other languages.

Disclosure: I was provided with the HABA My First Games Touch & Feel toy free of charge for the purpose of this review.  I was not told what to write, and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive reward for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?