Monday 11 July 2011

Magpie Monday - Feeding an obsession

No, I haven't missed some punctuation in the above title.  I know there's a few magpies who'd use this title to show off some beautiful cookware or tableware that they've found, but I'm a functional kind of girl, there's precious little pretty in my kitchen, and it's not somewhere for photography.

No.  The obsession is one I tried for a very long time to avoid.  I knew it would happen.  But I tried my hardest not to start, knowing it would be nearly impossible to give up, and it's an expensive hobby.  No, not smoking.  Terry Pratchett.  I held out as long as I could, but eventually the pressure became too much.  And I bought a copy of Feet Of Clay from my local Oxfam bookshop.  And that was it.  I might as well have signed my paycheque straight over to them.  While this isn't a great picture, it's most of my complete works of PTerry collection.  Every Discworld novel up to & including Carpe Jugulem came from a charity shop, the vast majority from the Oxfam Bookshop in Leeds, my old stomping ground.

What you can't see here is that there's also all the Johnny & The... books, all the Bromeliad trilogy, and the pre-Discworld novels again sourced from the fine charity shops of Yorkshire & South Wales. The newest books, I admit I've bought new, after the point where my reading caught up with Sir Terry's writing.  PTerry is an expensive hobby, there's no getting away from it, but I'm really proud of my collection, more so how I came by it.

See what everyone else has collected this week at Me and My Shadow

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm glad you're happy! I detest paying new prices for books.

    I've never read any Pratchett (waits while you promptly unfollow me), so I can't say I understand entirely! But there are worst expensive habits to have (she says knowingly). x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great collection. Can't beat a good book, Terry Pratchett always a good read x

    ReplyDelete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?