Thursday 10 May 2012

Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom, The Elf Games DVD Review


Apparently there's an Olympics happening sometime soon.  Strange how no-one's mentioned it!  Joking aside, we've got tickets to see Team GB's mens team in the football in Cardiff and I'm really excited about it.  Not sure quite how that's going to work out with Squeaky, but we shall see.

Anyway, that's not the only games taking place.  Ben & Holly have got in on the act with their very own Elf Games, and being the lucky girl that she is, Squeaky received a copy of the Elf Games DVD to review.  The DVD is out on 14 May, but we got a sneak preview.

Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom is a firm favourite in our house at the moment.  Squeaky's favourite phrases include the legendary "More Men! More Holly!"  It took me a little while to realise that "Men" actually meant Ben.  And if you ask her what a ladybird says, she replies "woof woof", thanks to the adorable Gaston.  I'm more a Nanny Plum fan myself, she's hilarious.


 We settled down with our DVD on a soggy afternoon over the bank holiday, and whisked ourselves away to the Little Kingdom, for a whole set of adventures.  Squeaky insisted on clutching (and chewing) her "wand" while she watched, and we watched the whole DVD in one sitting.  This is a surefire sign that Squeaky loves it, as her attention span is normally pretty short.  There's so much to engage her in each episode, and plenty of comedy for the adults as well, that it really does keep her attention better than anything else.

My Wand!
The DVD has ten episodes:
Elf Games
Cows
The Toy Robot
Dinner Party
Big Bad Barry
King Thistle's Birthday
The Wand Factory
Daisy and Poppy's Pet
The Elf Rocket
Picnic On The Moon

In common with many of my favourite children's DVDs, there's a random setting, so that you don't have to watch the same episodes in the same order every time.  You'll know what I mean when I say that can get a little bit grating, so I was very glad to see the "magic shuffle" option.

Aside from the elf version of the Olympics (no magic and no flying allowed!), our favourite episode was definitely Picnic On The Moon.  I won't give the story away, but Magic Jelly played a vital role, which Squeaky found absolutely hilarious.  She's a jelly fan anyway, but Magic Jelly is even more exciting!  That said, with the snooker on for the last few weeks, I was half expecting Big Bad Barry to be about Barry Hearn, fortunately for people more sane than I, it's not.

This is definitely a DVD we'll come back and watch again & again, Squeaky's demands for "More Men! More Holly!" won't have to wait for the Milkshake & Nick Jr schedules to roll round.  Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom, The Elf Games is released on 14 May, and is available to pre-order from Amazon, the official Little Kingdom Store and other retailers.

Disclosure: I was provided with a preview copy of the DVD free of charge for the purposes of this review. I was not told what to write and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme, and will not receive any payment or reward for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?