Monday 16 September 2013

Munchkin Click Lock Bento Lunchbox Review

New school year, new uniform, new shoes, new lunchbox.  I was legendary when I was at school for my ability to lose my lunchbox. Somewhere out there is a massive pile of mislaid Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, and Penelope Pitstop lunch boxes, and they're all mine!  So rather then picking out this week's passing whim, we were happy to receive the Munchkin Click Lock Bento Mealtime Set to review, as Squeaky's first lunchbox.


Bento, if you didn't know, is the Japanese art of food art, or that's the best description I can come up with, anyway. Little boxes, pretty presentation, and amazing tasting food.  And it's a great way to interest children in eating, after all which is more appetising, a curly cornered marmite sandwich & a yogurt, or a monkey shaped sandwich swinging from a breadstick vine?

The Click Lock Bento Melatime Set has been designed with little hands in mind, the locks on either side of the lid are easy to open, and easy to lock closed again (I really struggle with some locking lids, but got this one done first time), and each compartment inside has its own separate lid. The main compartment fits a sandwich, but as it has a lid, it's also great for a pasta salad.  The two smaller containers are removable and have their own lids, making them easy to wash, and to use for things like jelly or dips.  I love the pictures of fruit & veggies on the lids and bases, making them easy to match up the lids and pots.  The main lid also comes with a fitted fork & spoon, meaning you don't have that early morning hunt for picnic cutlery, or run the risk of losing your entire teaspoon collection.


As soon as Squeaky saw the Bento lunchbox, she claimed it as her own, fair enough, it is for her.  However, she claimed it in order to play picnics & tea parties with her dolls.  It speaks a lot for the design that it is so appealing to children, even without the food inside!  She didn't have any trouble with the lids, her 3 year old fingers mastered the lock and lids in no time, and we've spent many a happy hour eating imaginary sandwiches, cakes and vegetables from the lunchbox.

Living Room Picnic Time
Squeaky's not on full days yet at school, but the Bento lunchbox means we're able to get out & about & take her lunch with us so that she's ready for an afternoon in school.  Once she starts full time, the Bento lunchbox will be taking pride of place in her school bag, alongside an old, non-functioning mobile phone and a collection of interesting sticks.  The lunchbox is a great size to fit inside the book bag style school bag Squeaky totes each day.  And if I'm being completely honest, the ClickLock Bento Lunchbox has also found its way into my work bag a couple of times, because it's perfect for grown-up lunches too!

The set comes in a range of colours - I've seen pink, blue & green, others wouldn't surprise me!  They are available from Amazon, Boots, Morrisons, and other stockists, for around £7.50

Disclosure: I was provided with the Bento Mealtime Set free of charge for the purposes of this review.  I was not told what to write and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive reward for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?