Saturday 14 September 2013

E45 Review - National Eczema Week

National Eczema Week runs from 14-22 September, and as part of the week, we've been trying out some products from the E45 range on Squeaky's eczema-prone skin.  We received a bottle of the E45 emollient bath oil, a tub of E45 cream, and a tube of the E45 itch relief cream to review.


We've been using the bath oil in the bath (obvs) for a couple of weeks.  Previously we've tried both prescribed and over the counter bath oils, so we've got plenty to compare the E45 against.  And, hmmmm.  Whereas most emollient bath oils disperse well in warm water, the E45 is a slightly thicker consistency, and I've found it doesn't really disperse.  That's great in the effect on Squeaky's skin because it gives a really good cover, and that's done her skin the world of good, I've seen a genuine improvement.  On the downside though, it gives a really good cover to the bath, leaving it oily and slippery.  I've never cleaned the bath so much in my life!  I like the effect, and as Squeaky's bathtime is always supervised, I don't have too many worries about her safety, but for older children, or people who are a bit less stable on their feet (me, for instance!), it's just a bit of a worry.

I also wasn't too keen on the cap to the bottle.  There's a measuring mark inside the cap, so you use that to work out how much to pour in.  Except that the screw for the cap is a much smaller piece inside, and the measure is the outer part of the cap, so if you don't pour every last drop into the bath, the oil ends up dripping down the side of the bottle, leaving it all slippy and a bit unpleasant.  The other brands I've tried in the past have a much smaller cap, where the whole cap is the screw section AND the measure, so leftover oil falls back into the bottle.  It's a little thing, and my preference, but I've kept hold of a cap from an empty bottle & I'm using that instead.  The big cap looks great, it's just not working for me.

The E45 cream is a lovely rich, thick cream, that rubs in easily on arms, legs, and other itch-affected body parts.  It's easily absorbed, and doesn't leave Squeaky's skin feeling greasy.  I've found her skin looks and feels softer, and I've even been sneakily using a bit on my upper arms, and it's made a real difference, they're a lot smoother.

The Itch Relief Cream was the real revelation of the set though.  At this time of year, Squeaky's eczema is present but not too annoying for her, though that will soon change when the weather gets worse & the central heating goes on.  However, she & I have almost permanent itchy patches behind our ears.  I don't know why, we just do.  I've taken to applying a little bit of the Itch Relief Cream to the itchy patches every night after her bath.  For me, it's calmed the itch pretty much straight away.  I can't say for certain with Squeaky, but I do know she's been messing with her ears a whole lot less, and leaves them alone. The redness has all but gone within a couple of weeks, so I'd say it's been a success.

Now, how do you recognise eczema?  And what do you do about it?  It's National Eczema Week, so it's a good time to learn some more.

Eczema in babies
·         In babies eczema tends to show up  on the cheeks, and arms and legs
·         It shows up as patches of dry, red, sometimes pimply skin. The skin is tender, itchy and rough
·         Eczema most often develops in infancy
·         Eczema tends to be more common in families that have a history of eczema, hay fever and asthma
.         Seek advice from your GP or Health Visitor if you are unsure
.         If a rash does not go away when a glass is held against it, seek immediate medical advice

Using emollients for washing and moisturising are key to eczema management as they keep the skin moist and flexible to help prevent cracks.
1.    Apply leave on emollient all over the body 2-3 times a day
2.    Use gentle strokes in the direction of the hair growth when applying emollients
3.    Use soap substitutes when washing and bathing such as an emollient bath oil, or emollient wash.


Make emollient time fun for kids
·         If your child is very young, apply emollient by massage, to turn the process into a special and relaxing time for you and your baby
·         Incorporate the “creaming time” into your little one’s bedtime routine. This may also have a calming effect and help them sleep.
·         Create a calming effect by adding low volume relaxing music to sooth both of you. For an older child try using a special DVD of one of their favourite programmes that they are only allowed to watch at “creaming time” to encourage positive associations with the process
·         You can also use a special doll that your child is allowed to apply small amounts of emollient to while you apply it to them. This not only presents a distraction but helps your child understand what you are doing.

For a symptom tracker diary, a free call with a national eczema nurse and advice on common household irritants, along with many other tips, visit: eczemaadvice.co.uk

E45 products are available without prescription from major high street chemists, such as Boots, Lloyds and Superdrug, major supermarkets, and online.  They may also be prescribed by your GP.

Disclosure: I was provided with the above detailed products free of charge for the purposes of this review. I was not told what to write and all opinions are my own. Links are provided for convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive reward for their use.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter has suffered with Eczema in the past but she seems to be ok now. Will bear this in mind for the future though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. E45 is good stuff I have eczema and we use it here

    ReplyDelete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?