Friday 20 September 2013

Apple & Blackberry Crumble - too good too share!

I've mentioned before, we're really lucky to have a load of blackberries growing wild at the end of our street.  There's a little patch of field, urban green space or something, at the end of the road, and it's edged on three sides with a mix of trees & brambles. So blackberries aplenty, all ready for the picking.


Squeaky & I headed round the corner with our carrier bags at the weekend for a blackberry picking frenzy. Seriously, we spent about half an hour, and FILLED a carrier bag.  We've got it down to a fine art. I pick the ones at waist height or above, and she does the lower branches, so I don't have to bend down. Great.  She's getting pretty good now, and leaves the over ripe ones that burst all over your hands for the birds to eat (they've got to be able to poo purple stuff all over my car somehow!)

After our picking extravaganza, obviously we had to do something with the berries.  What better than blackberry and apple crumble?  I'm not a natural chef, so I'm writing this recipe down as much for me to have it to hand next year as to share it with you.

Serves about 8, depending how greedy you are.  Fills one large oval pyrex dish & two small Le Crueset dishes!

Ingredients
For the filling
2lb of cooking apples (that's about 5 or 6 Bramleys)
About 1 lb of blackberries
4oz sugar
1 lemon
1 lime

For the crumble topping
8oz Plain Flour
6oz butter
2oz sugar
4oz granola or porridge oats (I used Lizi's luxury Belgian Chocolate Granola, it was A-Mazing!)

Method
Peel, core & chop the apples into chunks & place into a bowl.
Rinse the blackberries & add to the apples.
Squeeze the juice of your lemon & lime over the fruit.  This adds a great kick to the flavour & stops the apples going brown.
Add the sugar & mix well.
Pour your fruit into a dish or dishes.  Probably dishes, unless you've reduced the recipe to more sensible portions!

Now, preheat the oven to 200c, gas mark 6, or 400 if you're still using Fahrenheit.

Put the flour into a fresh bowl.  Rub in the butter until it gets somewhere close to resembling breadcrumbs.  It probably won't quite get there, but don't worry, there's other stuff to add.
Add the sugar and granola, and lightly rub in to the mixture, generally making sure you've mixed it well.

Top the fruit with the crumble mix, and place into the oven for around 45 minutes, until the crumble is golden & the fruit is cooked through.

Serve with cream, ice cream, custard, or a smiling face!

Mmmmm, crumble.

I've seen a few other ideas to use up the blackberries, and I know there's a load more ripe now, so I might have to go picking.  What do you suggest I cook next?




No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?