Thursday 3 March 2011

Sleep, or Lack of... And Kalms Lozenge Review

Did you know that March is National Bed Month? And there's no place I'd rather spend the month, truth be told. I've had enough of weather now, I want some warmth.  Sleep is a precious thing, especially in our house... SqueakyDaddy works shifts, so some days he starts work at 5a.m., some days he doesn't finish until 2a.m., and then, of course we have a Squeaky in the house as well.  Some nights she sleeps like the proverbial baby (as opposed to a REAL baby), and then others, like last night, she decides that sleep is for other people.  So when I was offered some Kalms Lozenges to try out, I leapt at the chance.  Slowly, after yawning & stretching a bit.

Apparently, according to research carried out by Kalms, 40% of us would pay for a decent night's sleep, with 10% of us being prepared to fork out £50 for the privilege.  But really, would we?  I mean, £50 is a night in your local budget chain hotel, or if you book it at the right time, you could get 2 or 3 nights for that.  And do we do it?  I haven't, but I've suggested it to SqueakyDaddy a few times, but nothing's actually happened. Yet.

Anyways, the lozenges, which are part of a range including Kalms Sleep, and Kalms one-a-night, are made with lemon balm, which has been used as a herbal stress remedy for generations.  And they're really tasty.  The box says they're lemon & lime flavour, but to me they remind me of those barley sugars you used to get in a tin as travel sweets.  Mealtimes have been fraught in our house over the last few weeks, but I've found if I pop a lozenge in my mouth before starting the evening's feeding battle, I'm less likely to end up in a meltdown. I definitely think they'll end up in my handbag, reach for them at the first signs of road rage, rather than teaching Squeaky my inventively broad collection of curses.

Lack of sleep makes me stressed out.  Stress makes me less able to sleep.  So I get more stressed, so I don't sleep, you get the picture.  The lozenges aren't likely to help me sleep, but if they can help reduce the symptoms of stress, I can do the rest.

And finally, on dealing with stress, a tip I used to give when I was giving Interview Skills Training.  BREATHE!  Getting oxygen into your bloodstream lowers your blood pressure and reduces the amount of adrenaline, which is what makes you feel jumpy.  A few deep breaths honestly works. Try it now.

Disclosure: I was provided with a pack of Kalms Sleep lozenges free of charge for the purpose of this review.  I was not told what to write, and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive reward for their use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?