Saturday 9 August 2014

Through Another's Eyes

We went on a day trip last week with the preschool group Squeaky's been part of over the last while.  Nowhere is more likely to appeal to me than a day at the seaside, particularly in Weston-super-Mare, as I grew up just down the road and spent far too much time there in my not-so-wild and mis-spent youth  And the thought of someone else coming up with an idea for how to fill an entire day of the seemingly endless school holidays is very attractive indeed.

So, onto the coach we climbed, and headed off for our adventures.  Riding the donkeys on the beach (it's the law!), a lovely lunch with my parents (who still live just up the road), a trip on the merry-go-round, and an afternoon in the splash park meant we had a wholesome and fun filled family day out in the sunshine.  It didn't cost us a great deal, just a couple of £s for the rides, and more importantly, it didn't take huge amounts of planning from me.

Our new friend Fred


In fact, Squeaky's very favourite part of the day was climbing onto, and jumping from a large rock in the playground of the splash park.  The local council spent thousands on converting some old wasteground into a fantastic park, and she's more interested in a rock.  Figures.

Rock, obvs

My favourite part, on the other hand, was chatting to some of the other parents on the coach, and hearing what they had to say about Squeaky.

I mean, I know that much like Mary Poppins, she's "Practically Perfect in Every Way", but when you hear from other parents that their children say to them that "Squeaky's a big girl, but she still talks to me, I like her", or that they report back every day on whether she was at the group that day, and are really sad on the days she's not there, it's quite a thing.  (And for full disclosure, as I was writing this longhand in my notebook at the local soft play, when a grandparent came up to me and complemented me on how nicely Squeaky was playing with her much younger granddaughter)

There are times when I worry about her, that she seems shy, or doesn't seem to know how to ask to join in a game with others, and finds herself left on the sidelines.  But really, it seems I have nothing to worry about.

Our day in the Somerset sunshine is linking up with Coombe Mill's Coutry Kids Linky.  
Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

6 comments:

  1. Aww!! It looks like you all had a lot of fun! Yes it is the law....You must ride a donkey at the beach....hehehe
    Fab photos x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lot of fun, you must always ride donkeys on the beach I have great childhood memories of that! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  3. A full day of wonderful sunny fun - perfect for the holidays. I love the photo of Squeaky and Fred, it's adorable. Thanks for linking up and sharing with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, hoe lovely to get such compliments. She sounds like a gorgeous little girl x
    #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad your enjoyed your stay here! Yep those Donkey's a must! #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely day out, how proud you must be to get wonderful comments on your little girl :)

    ReplyDelete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?