Saturday 19 April 2014

Doctor Who Monster Family Day Out

It didn't make it to my Guilty Pleasures list the other week, because there's nothing to feel guilty about, but over the last couple of years, I've become a bit of a Doctor Who fan.  Not so far as to be a Whovian, and way too slow to watch any given episode, seeing as they don't yet show it on Disney Junior, but a fan all the same.  So when we were offered the chance to visit the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff as part of their Monster Family Day Out, we were pretty pleased. I've been meaning to go for ages, since they moved to their new home in Porth Teigr (Tiger Bay to you and me).  Actually, to be honest, the last time I went to the exhibition, it was a room in the back of Longleat House, and was nothing more than a couple of coats, K9, and a shop selling postcards.

Looking out for Daleks
Well, it's nothing like that now.  I shan't spoil the adventure for you, but there's an interactive walk through, lead by none less than The Doctor himself, with Daleks, 3D, and actual adventuring.  It might be a little scary for some small folk, but it's fast moving and the scary bits soon pass.  Squeaky said it was "really terrifying" in places, but I think she's just showing off some new words.  She joined in, and loved the Daleks, no matter how scary they're meant to be.  I wasn't allowed to take photos in that part of our trip, so as not to spoil it for anyone else, but trust me, it's great.



Then, after the interactive experience we moved on to the exhibition.  Squeaky was a bit less impressed with the first half, with costumes and TARDIS controls panels through the eras, but as she doesn't remember any of them, I can kinda understand that.  Upstairs however, it was much more to her taste.  There were activities going on, including face painting,and the chance to make your very own Dalek, lots of other Daleks, TARDISes (what is the plural of TARDIS anyway?) and props to look at, and one Dalek you could even control!

Busy making Daleky-Dalek the Dalek

The one thing that I found a little disappointing was that, aside from one mention of Clara as a Dalek, the experience stopped at the Amy and Rory era of Doctor Who, as if the last year or so, a new companion, and the latest regeneration had never happened.  It would have been good to see a couple of things relating to the current shows, especially for me as a fairly new viewer.  But that's me, isn't it?  For the dedicated Whovian, it would make much more sense.
Lego Dalek

We had a MONSTER fun day out at the Doctor Who Experience, and with the extra activities for children over the school holidays, it's a great choice for a different day out for the whole family.

Disclosure: I was given free entry for myself and Squeaky to the Doctor Who Experience for the purposes of this review post. I was not told what to write and all opinions are my own. Links are provided for convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme and will not receive reward for their use.

1 comment:

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?