Tuesday 20 November 2012

The Perfect Roast Potatoes!

The former parish priest at my mum's church had a regular sermon he used for children's masses called "the last roast potato", this post is dedicated to him.

After many failed attempts, I have found a Yorkshire Pudding recipe that works every time, with no problems whatsoever.  Remind me, and I'll post the recipe another time.  Because this post isn't about my Yorkshire Pudding skills, it's about potatoes!  Perfect potatoes! Splendid Spuds!

I was sent a fabulous pack to help me in my attempts to make the perfect roast potatoes, including a bag of Good Natured Splendid Spuds, goose fat, Cornish Sea Salt, an apron, and the all-important recipe.  So, at the weekend, I set to making an extra-special roast dinner.

The Splendid Spuds are a firm-fleshed white potato, easy to peel, and turn beautifully fluffy when cooked.  That's how a good roastie should be - crisp on the outside & fluffy on the inside.  And look!  How great do these roasties look to you?    Take it from me, they were stunning.  Not a single leftover, and I made WAY more than we needed for the three of us.

Would you like to give the perfect roast potato recipe a try yourself?  Here you go...

Ingredients
1.5 kg Good Natured Splendid Spuds
50g Goose Fat
50g Butter
Cornish Sea Salt
(Serves 4)

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 190C/gas 5/fan 170C. Peel the potatoes and cut into big chunks. Put them in a large saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
  1. Once just cooked, remove from the heat and drain well. Scratch roughly with a fork (the rougher surface will give you crispier potatoes). Season with a pinch of Cornish Sea Salt.
  1. Heat the goose fat in a roasting tray until it is sizzling hot and then add the potatoes and butter to the tray. Baste or turn the potatoes (carefully) as soon as they go into the roasting tin so they have a light coating of goose fat from the start. Roast for 1 hour or until golden and crisp. Turn the potatoes during cooking at least once to ensure even colour.
  1. To serve, sprinkle the potatoes with Cornish Sea Salt and serve immediately.
Of course, if you're a veggie, you can replace the goose fat with more butter or oil of your choice, but honestly, goose fat does make a difference to the taste & crispness of the potatoes.

I served with Never Fail Yorkshire Puddings, roast chicken breast & assorted veggies, but you could serve these spuds with pretty much whatever takes your fancy.  Frozen roasties will never match the taste of real home made roast potatoes, and now I have a recipe that works, our Sunday lunches have just got one step better.  I need someone to teach me how to make proper gravy now!

Good Natured’s Splendid Spuds are pesticide-residue free, using only natural predators to control pests and disease, good bugs to keep the bad bugs at bay, leaving you safe in the knowledge that you and your family are getting just what nature intended.  Good Natured Splendid Spuds are perfect for roasting & mashing, with a soft fluffy texture & gentle taste. 

Good Natured Splendid Spuds are available in selected Asda stores nationwide, along with other fruits and vegetables from the Good Natured range.

Disclosure: I was provided with a Perfect Roast Potatoes hamper including the ingredients detailed above free of charge for the purpose of this review.  I was not told what to write, and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive reward for their use.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?