Tuesday 22 November 2011

Music Therapy

I was challenged to Mammywoo's Music Therapy meme by Him Up North, and after having spent a fair number of years in the wilds of Ilkley & Leeds, I've learned not to argue with a Yorkshireman.

For those of you as out of touch with the memes of the moment as I am, it's a simple premise.  Three different artists, three different songs, three sets of lyrics that mean something to you. ARGH. It sounds so easy, but it's so difficult. My entire music collection is boxed up and either in the attic, or in a storage unit somewhere the other side of town, my mp3 player is upstairs next to a sleeping SqueakyDaddy.  And I'm old and haven't listened to anything more relevant than Radio Wales in years.  So I'm working from a mixture of memories and ARGH.

1) Wilson Phillips - Hold On




"No one can change your life except for you
Don't ever let anyone step all over you"

I'm not proud, I'll admit to my 90's teenhood.  I love the song.  There's been some long long nights this song got me through in my teens, and times where maybe I should've listened to those lyrics again since. Given the right mood, this song can make me cry.

2) Fools Garden - Lemon Tree




"Isolation is not good for me
Isolation, I don't want to sit on the lemon-tree"


A reminder not to wallow in my own self-pity. And a perky, happy, silly reminder that drags me straight back to college, jumping around in the now-defunct Travs in Ilkley.  The last night before I left college, the DJ played this (as he did very frequently), and said we'd never hear it again after that night.  He was wrong, but it takes me straight back to a simpler time and leaves me with a smile. Also it makes me popular with people from Germany.


3) Cliff Richard - Congratulations





Now, you weren't expecting that, were you?  Let me explain.  SqueakyDaddy and I both have a shameful love of the Eurovision Song Contest (I very nearly chose LT United's "We Are The Winners"), and we have a tendency to not take things very seriously.  So when we got married, we decided to have a bit of fun with the music, and walked out of the ceremony to this.  Just those first beats make me smile.  The whole thing summed us up, and our wedding, and took everyone by surprise.


Who to tag? You!  No, not you, you've already done it.  You, there, trying to hide behind your mug.  I can see you!


(In other words, if you want to do it, I've tagged you. If you don't, I haven't.  Get to it, people!)



4 comments:

  1. Chynna Phillips...purrr.... erm, yeah, sorry, great set of songs. I must admit I'm not familiar with Fools Garden so I've learned something there. Thanks for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I somehow missed the 90s music, despite being a teenager then so I've heard some new music! Aside from Cliff, my Mum made me listen to lots of Cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I love Lemon Tree! Haven't heard it for such a long time. And what's not to be proud of 'Hold on' is a fab song? Think of all the other 90s 'classics' that could have made your list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched 'Bridesmaids' last weekend and had just stopped singing 'Hold on' (Wilson Phillips make a cameo, if you haven't seen it). And now I'm singing it again "Hold on for one more daaayay!"

    ReplyDelete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?