Wednesday 22 February 2012

Hands Up! Justin Fletcher CD Review

Hands Up who loves Justin?  If you don't know who Justin Fletcher is, then you've either been living under a rock for the last few years, or don't spend much time around the under 5's.  He's the star of Something Special, Gigglebiz, Justin's House, some early morning episodes of Tikabilla, and the voice of Timmy Time & Shaun The Sheep - and I'm certain I've missed a few.  He's everywhere.

Squeaky loves him, which is no bad thing, considering he IS everywhere.  It can be quite difficult to get her away from her "BeeCees" some days, but that's where Justin comes to the rescue.

We were sent a copy of Hands Up... the album to review, much to Squeaky's delight (and Daddy's utter confusion).  The single "Hands Up" was released before Christmas, and when I first saw the title, I was half expecting a cover of the Ottawan single.  I've listened to it so many times since, that when I actually *should* expect the Ottawan single, my Brain now starts on the Justin song instead!  Seriously, the Ottawan track was on something on tv the other week, and I started singing Justin.

I've got slightly mixed feelings about this, truth be told. I'm not his biggest fan (that would be Squeaky), but the album is actually really good.  The songs are well sung, well recorded, and Squeaky loves singing along in the car, or dancing around the house to them.  The version of "I Am The Music Man" grates on me, because it's not the standard lyrics, and I don't deal with change well, and his Nellie The Elephant isn't a patch on the Toy Dolls version.  Those issues aside, otherwise I honestly enjoy it.   I've mentioned before how my hearing problems have affected my choices in music, and how I need things to be well balanced for me to be able to actually "hear" them properly.  Well, maybe because it's aimed at children, the balance is perfect for me, I can hear lyrics, and backing, without one overpowering the other.

The Stay At Home PT (@thestayathomept on twitter) a crazy, far more energetic person than me, reckons you can use the Hands Up album for a high-impact workout, burning off as many calories as a visit to Starbucks - you can watch his Youtube video here. I'm not that much of an exerciser, but it has to be said when Squeaky's dancing, we've all got to join in!  I might not have burned off a latte & pain au chocolat yet, but I've probably burned an espresso and a couple of grapes.

Hands Up... The Album is available from Amazon and HMV for £8.99, and slightly more at Sainsburys (but think of the Nectar points!), and probably your local independent music retailer (they do still exist, right?).  If you know a Justin fan, you'll be flavour of the month if you buy this!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of Hands Up! The Album free of charge for the purpose of this review.  I was not told what to write, and all opinions are my own.  Links are provided for your convenience only, I am not a member of any affiliate scheme & will not receive reward for their use.

1 comment:

  1. We love Justin in our house. My son has been a fan throughout his life. As baby, my son "spoke" with sign language and he really enjoyed watching "Something Special" now at 5 years old he's a big fan of "Justin's house".

    Think we will be getting this CD.

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete

You know what? I love comments. Sometimes I even reply! So leave me a message & brighten up my day!

Please note: Comments on posts over 14 days old are moderated, don't panic. If you're human I will publish. If you're a spammer, I won't, but you can't read this anyway, can you?